Winter/Christmas skin

Friday, December 04, 2015

As the song goes, 'Baby, It's Cold Outside'.
This time of year, the weather and central heating, and constant change from cold to warm can wreak havoc on the skin. It can leave your skin feeling tight, red and sore, or almost like it's 'burning'.
Today, I thought I'd share a few tips on how to look after your skin at this time of year. 


  • Don't over cleanse or exfoliate. Your skin needs as much moisture as possible this time of year. 
  • Don't aim for a 'squeaky clean' feeling after you cleanse. If you have this feeling, change what you are using.
  • Change your face wash (foaming) to a cleansing milk or balm (no mineral oil, natural ones). This applies all times of the year, but especially now. Think replenishing the oils in the skin, not taking them away. I've just repurchased one of my favourites, shown below (along with my stupid reflection in the lid!!)



  • Avoid alcohol heavy products, they will just strip the skin. (astringent toners, face wipes.)
  • Don't over exfoliate, face or body. Exfoliants in liquid form are far more effective than scrubs. I use a mild exfoliating toner AM & PM, followed by a hydrating spritz before applying the rest of my products. I add the hydrating spritz stage in, to inject as much hydration into my skin as possible. The one I'm using at the moment is the Pixi Hydrating Milky Mist, £18.00, available here. 
Hydrating Milky Mist
  • Layer your skincare like you layer clothing. My current routine is: cleanse, acid tone, hydrating spritz, eye cream, serum, moisturise.
  • Drink plenty of water. Most people tend to have more alcohol and bad food than usual this time of year, so try to keep yourself hydrated.
  • Oils, oils oils! Use a good serum under your moisturiser. Preferably one containing hyaluronic acid. See my post here for some recommendations. Also, use a face oil at night.
  • Don't have your shower water too hot, go for warm, not hot. 
  • Keep your lips moisturised, preferably not with something full of paraffin. My favourite lip balm is the Reve De Miel Moisturizing Stick by Nuxe, available here and at M&S. 
  • Moisturise! Preferably one free of silicones and mineral oil.
  • Spend as much on your skincare as you would on other things like handbags or shoes, or you'll end up with a bag looking in better condition than your face.

You Might Also Like

0 comments