Skincare Routines: Where to start

Sunday, March 20, 2016

I've had lots of questions recently about what products to use, when to use them in your routine, etc.
Today I'd like to help those who currently don't really have any kind of skincare 'routine', or are struggling with how to start one. 

The main, basic steps that you should start with, are:
1. cleanse, 2. tone, 3. serum, 4. moisturise. 
Any other steps can be added into your routine later on.

Cleanse - please read my cleansing post here first, for information on why you need to cleanse, what to do, what not to do, etc. Also, I've had a few people ask what 'cleanse' or 'cleanser' means, it basically means cleaning your skin. If you don't clean your skin, nothing that you apply to your skin (moisturisers, etc) will work properly. Also, who doesn't clean their skin?! Ew.

paramountmovies  fashion beauty the muppets clueless
I like to use a different cleanser in the morning than I do in the evening. In the morning, I use a lighter consistency  that I can rinse off in the shower, because I am not wearing make-up when I get out of bed...(you shouldn't have make-up on your face in the morning, and yes, you do need to cleanse in the morning!) Nothing foaming. In the evening, I use an oil or balm consistency as it gives a much deeper cleanse if you are wearing make-up. 
I have also done a post listing my recommended cleansers, from inexpensive, to more high end options, please read it here

Tone - please read my toning post here, for information on why you need a toner, and which ones I'd recommend. The best option to go for, is always an acid toner. It'll keep your skin in top condition and make your serum/moisturiser work so much better. If you suffer with spots & breakouts, use an acid toner, if you suffer with dry or dehydrated skin, use an acid toner. Honestly, they are my holy grail (and many other people's!)

Serum - everyone needs a serum, literally everyone. If you aren't using one, start. They are one of the best things you will ever use. A serum is normally a fluid consistency, and you apply it to your skin before your moisturiser. If you have oily skin or suffer with spots, a serum won't make it worse or make it more oily, trust me. Read my serums/face oils post here for more information, and which ones I'd recommend. My favourites are Hydraluron, and also Hylamide, which isn't listed in that post, but is a really great one, and is on offer for £20 in Boots at the moment instead of £30! See it here
Subq Anti-Age - 30ml

Moisturise - you should always, always finish your skincare routine with a moisturiser. Again, I have done a separate post on moisturisers here, please read it for more information on what to look for and my recommended ones. 

I hope this post has been helpful, if you have any questions, or products you'd like me to review on here, please comment below! 

Until next time, 
Gemma x


You Might Also Like

0 comments