Top skincare tips!

Saturday, October 03, 2015

Top Skincare Tips

So during my years working as a therapist, I've done many, many facials on many MANY different ages & skin types. Although everyone doesn't have the same skin concerns, or skin types, everyone has one thing in common, we all want the best from our skin.


So here are my top tips for amazing skin! 

1. Put the effort in
So many women say they 'don't have time' to have a proper skincare routine. For me, if you want your skin to look it's best, you need to put the effort in. I consider my skincare routine as an essential part of my day, just the same as brushing my teeth morning & night. If you just kept saying to yourself that you 'don't have time' to brush your teeth, you'd end up with cavities, and teeth that aren't in good condition. It's the same with your skin.

2. You get what you pay for
With skincare products, you pay for the ingredients within them. I'm not saying you need to spend a ton of money on every product you buy, but if you are able to spend a bit more, you will get better results. For me, I want to invest in my skin, invest in my face. It's the first thing people look at when they meet you, it's how people recognise you. I would rather spend my money on keeping my skin looking amazing, than a new outfit.

3. Cleanse properly
Before you cleanse your skin, remove your make up. Whether you do a double cleanse, or use a micellar water first. Note - a micellar water is not a proper cleanser, yes, it removes make up, but it does not cleanse your skin efficiently. Throw away the alcohol laden make up wipes, and foaming/scrub cleansers, and use a cream or balm cleanser, they do not disturb the balance of the skin. Massage the cleanser into your skin whilst it's dry, then remove with a warm damp flannel or cloth. The warmth from the cloth helps to draw out impurities, and the bristles help give a light exfoliation. Cotton pads, from my experience, do not remove cleanser efficiently. 

4. Tone
Most women I speak to, miss out the toning stage as they are unsure of what it's purpose is. A toner balances the pH level of your skin, as well as shrinking the pores so they do not become clogged. It's important to avoid astringent toners that contain alot of alcohol, as they strip the skin. 

5. Moisturise 
After the toning stage, your skin is a clean canvas ready for your serums & moisturisers. Whether you have dry, dehydrated, oily, or sensitive skin, you need to moisturise. People who have oily skin, tend to think it doesn't need to be moisturised - this is not the case. If you do not hydrate your skin, it will try to hydrate itself by producing more oil, leading to more oiliness and breakouts.

6. Exfoliate
Exfoliating helps get rid of dead skin cells, unclogs the pores, and gives skin a deeper cleanse. It's best to exfoliate about once a week, I personally prefer exfoliating acids & peels (glycolic, salicylic, etc) rather than granular ones. However, if you prefer granular type scrubs, it's best to avoid ones with very large grains in them, the most suitable ones have very small grains in them, and the grains should be perfectly round, not have jagged edges that scratch at the skin (like apricot kernel ones, for example). If you suffer from break outs and oiliness like myself, exfoliating acids are far more suitable, granular scrubs can exasperate the conditon.


I hope this post has been helpful, let me know in the comments below! x





You Might Also Like

0 comments